日本データベース学会

dbjapanメーリングリストアーカイブ(2005年)

CFP: IEEE J-SAC (Special Issue on P2P Comm. & App.)

日本データベース学会会員の皆様、

阪大の原です。

下記の通り、IEEEジャーナルにおいてP2P通信と応用に関する特集
号が企画されております。
是非とも投稿をご検討ください。

| 原 隆浩 (Takahiro HARA), 工学博士               |
| 大阪大学大学院情報科学研究科              |
| マルチメディア工学専攻 助教授                   |
| 〒565-0871 大阪府吹田市山田丘1-5                |
| E-mail: hara [at] ist.osaka-u.ac.jp                  |
| Tel: 06-6879-4511, Fax: 06-6879-4514            |

------------------------- CALL FOR PAPERS -------------------------

IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
PEER-TO-PEER COMMUNICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS

Two popular, well-established service access models are the
client-server model and the push model. In the former model, the user
makes a request to get the desired data. In the latter model, servers
push data on to the clients when certain conditions are satisfied. In
both the models, it is the server that acts as a central point of
control and data distribution. In both the models, there is no
interaction between users. An emerging third model of data access is
the peer-to-peer (P2P) model, where a user is aware of other users and
users communicate among themselves to access and share data. The idea
in the P2P model is twofold: (i) plain sharing of information among
users, and (ii) work in tandem with the client-server model for
performance reasons. So far, P2P networks have relied on the fixed
Internet infrastructure, and service accessibility has been their main
objective. However, mobility due to wireless connectivity will provide
new opportunities and challenges to the designers of P2P networks.
Also, peers need not be identical in their computing and communication
capability and willingness to participate in P2P services.

Therefore, the new challenges in designing P2P systems will include
communication protocols to support P2P communication in a
heterogeneous network including the fixed Internet, wireless LANs, and
the 3G systems. Those protocols must be aware of the quality of
service (QoS) needs of the users. Efficient discovery of contents will
be of importance because search involves sending messages on the
network. This problem gains additional importance in a wireless
network, where bandwidth is at a premium. There may be a need for
peers to form an ad hoc network so that less service is demanded from
the infrastructure-based part with the objective of localizing
communication and reducing the cost. When peers apply their local
constraints on participation, there will be additional challenges on
the above design aspects. Also, because of the open nature of P2P
networks, security will be a problem. There has been ongoing research
on the problems, but a great deal of work still remains to be done.

The goal of this issue is to provide a forum for the recent research
results on P2P systems with emphasis on P2P user applications and
middleware support. We plan to solicit papers in the following areas:

- Object location and storage
- Data replication strategies
- Index structure for resource discovery
- DDoS resilient P2P networks
- Resource conserving P2P communication
- Integration of P2P model with client-server and push models
- Search and routing in heterogeneous P2P networks
- Novel applications of P2P communication

Only original and unpublished research papers will be considered.
Prospective authors should follow the IEEE J-SAC manuscript format
described in the Information for Authors. Authors should submit their
papers in pdf format to knaik [at] swen.uwaterloo.ca according to the
following timetable:

* Manuscript Submission: DECEMBER 15, 2005
* Acceptance Notification: May 15, 2006
* Final Manuscript Due: July 15, 2006
* Publication: 1st Quarter 2007

GUEST EDITORS