日本データベース学会

dbjapanメーリングリストアーカイブ(2008年)

[dbjapan] KDD-2009: CALL FOR Industrial/Government Applications Papers

[Apologies if you receive this more than once]

KDD-2009: The Fifteenth ACM SIGKDD International Conference
on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'09)

Paris, France
June 28 - July 1, 2009.

http://www.kdd.org/kdd2009/

CALL FOR Industrial/Government Applications Papers

The Industrial/Government Applications Track of the 15th ACM SIGKDD
International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
(KDD-2009) will highlight challenges, lessons, research issues
AND PRACTICAL PROBLEMS arising out of deploying applications of KDD technology.
The focus is on promoting the exchange of ideas between researchers and
practitioners of data mining.

=================
Important dates:
=================

***Note the earlier submission deadlines***
Abstract submission: February 2, 2009
Paper submission: February 6, 2009
Notification: April 10, 2009
Conference dates: June 28 - July 1, 2009

The KDD-2009 Industrial/Government Applications (I/G) Track seeks to:

    * provide a forum for exchanging ideas between KDD practitioners,
      researchers, companies, and government organizations;
    * help commercial and government organizations highlight successful
      KDD applications;
    * raise interesting industrial challenges and other concerns more
      specific to industry and government AND EXCHANGE IDEAS ABOUT HOW
      RECENT RESEARCH DEVELOPMENTS COULD HELP AND BRING SOLUTIONS
      TYPICAL ISSUES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO -- customer privacy issues,
      analysis of data not generally available in academia, issues of
      scale that arise more heavily in a corporate setting, etc.

The I/G Applications Track solicits papers describing implementations
of KDD solutions relevant to commercial or government settings. The
primary emphasis is on papers that advance our understanding of
practical, applied, or pragmatic issues and highlight new research
challenges in real KDD applications. Applications can be in any field
including, but not limited to: e-commerce, medical and pharmaceutical,
defense, public policy, engineering, manufacturing, telecommunications,
BANKING, INSURANCE, FINANCE and government.
Being held in Europe for the first time, we enthusiastically seek
contributions from European authors and on European projects.

The I/G Applications Track will consist of competitively-selected
contributed papers - presented in oral and/or poster form - as well as
invited talks. We envision submissions along four sub-areas:

    * Emerging applications and technology
    * Deployed KDD case studies
    * Comparative studies of KDD technology
    * Pragmatic issues and research considerations in fielding real applications.

Emerging application and technology papers discuss prototype applications,
tools for focused domains or tasks, useful techniques or methods, useful
system architectures, scalability enablers, tool evaluations, or
integration of KDD and other technologies. Case studies describe deployed
projects with measurable benefits that include KDD technology. Such papers
need to demonstrate the importance and general impact of the work clearly.
Comparative studies compare and contrast KDD technologies using specific
examples (without being a product advertisement). Pragmatic issues and
considerations include important practical and research considerations,
approaches, and architectures that enable successful applications.

Submitters are encouraged (but not required) to select one (or more) of
these sub-areas for their papers. In their submission, authors are required
to explain why the application is important, the specific need for KDD
technology to solve the problem (including why other methods perhaps not
based on data mining may fall short), and any innovations or lessons
learned in the solution.

KDD 2009 will also feature keynote presentations, a research track,
workshops, tutorials, and the KDD Cup competition.

I/G Applications Track Co-Chairs:

    * Kamal Ali, ISLE/Stanford,
    * Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Yahoo! Research